This is a new project to study Hard Surfaces.
I decided to develop this piece entirely in Zbrush, so textures and materials were also applied inside the software through Polypaint and MatCaps.

Next, I’ll try to roughly describe the process I used here. I hope you like it!
So, here we go =]

a) Modelling Part

I used dynamesh to build up the base mesh and zremesh to clean up the topology. After that, I masked and extract (without thickness) parts of the mesh to modelling the armour pieces (some of the pieces had to go for another zremesh round to have a better mesh for the extrusion process). Zmodeler was the tool used in the extrusion process but also used it to add or reduce edge loops, delete unnecessary polygons, create different polygroups, and so on.
I used Zbrush UVmaster plugging to opened up UVs and add texture and noise in some of the objects. *Note that I also used the Insert Multi Mesh brushes (IMM) to add the armour’s screws and the propulsor prop — I didn’t see the point to modelling all of this small objects since I don’t have too much time on my hands (grad student!).

b) Texture and Material

I used mostly Zbrush’s pre-installed BasicMaterial and MatCaps, however, I got some materials from the download center on the Pixologic website. The colours are basic Zbrush Polypaint.

c) Renders and Composition

Rendering process was done with Zbrush BPR Render to extract the render passes.
The final composition was done in Photoshop, using Zbrush BPR Render Passes.

This study was inspired by Ennio Caglià concept.

iPhone Wallpaper – Download
Final Image – Photoshop Digital Compositing
Textures and Materials
Material Test
Modelling Update
Update – Back